MageCommunity MageCommunity
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/11/2014 21:33
Every day I'm checking Ammonia levels and keeping it above 3ppm but Nitrite is still showing as 0ppm after a week and a half

Am I just being too impatient, or should it have risen by now.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 23/11/2014 15:18
It's possible it's just taking a little time to get there, if there's still no sign in a few days report back and we can see if there is anything that might be causing it to be quite so slow
It's Not Just A Fish
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 24/11/2014 21:36
Hello again, thought I'd do a report with some pictures.

( Last added ammonia 3-4 days ago as it doesn't seem to drop at a rapid rate )

With and without flash because colour is not great.

http://i.imgur.com/ZIZCeTa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Btk8E03.jpg

Almost 2 weeks now and as you can see from the test I've just done the Ammonia is above 3ppm which is good, but still no nirite.
RustyScotland RustyScotland
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Ayrshire
  • Posted on: 25/11/2014 18:49
Hi there, I sooooooo feel for you, I was right where you are twice now.... waiting and it looks like absolutely nothing is happening.....but please be patient. I will suddenly start changing and you will be on your way. The patients is well worth it, I had one tank that I was not patient enough with and eventually I just had to start from scratch as I constantly had to tinker with it and do daily water changes - it just never settled - whereas the 2 I cycled properly are a joy - stable 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite all the time.... but it took a good 6 weeks or so - I found turning the temp up a little helped -

Good luck!!!
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 25/11/2014 21:14
Thanks for your input Rusty.
I'm just an impatient person, and considering there is only 23Litres of water I thought it would have got somewhere by now.

I can understand a 240Litre tank taking 6 weeks but I guess I have no choice but to wait it out
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 25/11/2014 22:27
I didn't have my heater on as I thought it would be a waste until the cycle is done, but after research turns out its faster with it on at around 86 Degrees, so mine is now on.

Thank you for that input, otherwise I'd have been sitting here like a lemon waiting for ages.

Much appreciated
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2014 18:05
Guys 2 and a half weeks no sign of Nitrite and i also haven't had to add any Ammonia for what seems like ages.

Any ideas on whats going on.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/11/2014 18:38
What level of ammonia do you have in the tank? What are current pH and kH? What temp is it at now? Have you ever had to top up ammonia since the first dose? What is the current nitrate reading in the tank?
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2014 22:19
I'm really confused

NitRITE = 0ppm ( Pale blue colour )

Ammonia = 2ppm ( Added 0.23Ml earlier )

pH = 8.2

Kh - No idea as I've run out of test strips and liquid based doesn't test for it.

Temp is a steady 84

Yes I've had to top it up but by very little... like 0.2-0.5ml 3 times tops in the 2 and a half weeks.

NitRATE = between 20-40ppm.

How the hell have I got Nitrate when my Nitrite has always been 0ppm
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/11/2014 23:45
OK - I think I know what's happening. Right back at the beginning you used some Safestart if I remember correctly. We don't recommend this because the ammonia>nitrite bacteria that are correct for aquarium filtration have no dormant stage and thus cannot survive in a bottle so that makes it pretty pointless. However, there are also nitrite>nitrate munchers in these potions who can stay dormant for some time and will reawaken when temp is high enough, thy are in flowing water and nitrite is present.

What I think has happened is that the first stage (ammonia>nitrite) has begun to happen, but at a very slow rate because you only recently turned on the heater. Evidence that this stage has started is there in that the ammonia level is dropping. The small quantity of nitrite being produced at this early stage has re-awakened the dormant nitrite munchers who are present in sufficient numbers to process it straight through to nitrate before you are able to detect it on a test.

You can confirm this by testing your tap water nitrate level. If it is lower than the current level in your tank then my theory is likely to be correct as if ammonia falls and nitrate rises, there has to have been nitrite present in between, even if you didn't see it on test.