(1) 2 »
jelly tot jelly tot
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/9/2011 23:33
Quarantine for plants? #1
I need to replace all the plants in my tank as they are not doing too well. The last time I bought live plants my Fancy got whitespot and I really really do not want to go through this again. I know a lot of things can be carried in water and I want to make sure any new plants I buy for the tank are clean and disease free.

Please can anyone advise me on ways to clean / quarantine plants before adding to the tank.

I do have a spare tank with built in filter, but it is not set up atm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/9/2011 23:57
Re: Quarantine for plants? #2
I've heard of people giving plants a dip in anti-whitespot treatment before use. When you buy them don't buy ones that are in a tank with fish. The best LFS have separate systems for plants, completely isolated from the fish so can't communicate disease. Also whitespot can't live for very long without a host fish, so they will be fine after a weeks q. Plants also shouldn't produce ammonia i think so don't need a full filter set up, just a bit of water circulation and a heater.

Of course for complete safety, buy silk ones
To Dive or not to Dive.....
What a stupid question

Resized Image
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 11:15
Re: Quarantine for plants? #3
Hi Jelly tot

I just remembered you asked this the other day on a thread and i never responded - soz for that

All I do is give them a good rinse in tank water in a bucket - I do a small water change, then pop them in the tank. I do buy from retailers with separate systems for plants tho' and never out of a tank with fish in - and you do see them.

Fab answer from Fishy Tom - you just keep learning on this site !

P.s do plants produce ammonia when they start rotting, and / or falling to bits - I was under the impression they did, but not 100 % sure.
Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 11:49
Re: Quarantine for plants? #4
Quote:

Ella wrote:

P.s do plants produce ammonia when they start rotting, and / or falling to bits - I was under the impression they did, but not 100 % sure.

Yes they do
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 13:08
Re: Quarantine for plants? #5
Cheers noodle, don't know what I would do without you
Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 16:24
Re: Quarantine for plants? #6
Quote:

Ella wrote:

Didn't think of that, that is of course true. Healthy non-rotting plants (which you would hope your shop provides you with) don't produce ammonia.

If they are going to be in quarantine for a bit (1 week +) i would also give them some plant food and give their tank a top up with fish tank water (for the nitrate) to keep them healthy.

Personally with my plants i tend to buy the slightly dearer ones that come in a pot with a label. Better quality plants generally and worth it as you don't need replacements after a couple of weeks. I also only get ones from separate plant systems so they don't have fish diseases. Avoid the very pricey plant on bogwood though. You can get the same thing for half the price with some bogwood, black thread and a plant. But i must admit to planting them straight away with out any quarantine, and (touch wood, fingers crossed etc.) have never had a problem with them.
What a stupid question

Resized Image
CurmudgeonlyOldMan CurmudgeonlyOldMan
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 16:47
Re: Quarantine for plants? #7
Just to add: Good Healthy plants help remove CO2 from water during day, but pump CO2 back into water at night when lights are off. So keep a check on this if you have quite a few plants as it can affect pH overnight.

I used to dip my plants in a very weak bleach solution for 5 minutes then give a very good rinse off under the tap and then dry off on paper towels before adding to tank the next day after they have sat in a bucket of tank water overnight for any dead snails etc to fall off.
[url=injaf.org/the-big-fish-campaign/][img align=right]http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploa
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 19:57
Re: Quarantine for plants? #8
Quote:

OldMrGrumpy wrote:
Just to add: Good Healthy plants help remove CO2 from water during day, but pump CO2 back into water at night when lights are off. So keep a check on this if you have quite a few plants as it can affect pH overnight.

This is something you need to balance, as there is another thread on FK about deactivating the air pump during the night to keep CO2 in! If you have an air stone on all night, along with the usual pump circulation, it will easily drive off any CO2 that the plants make. But then some people want the CO2 so the plants can 'feast' on it when the lights come on.
Again, personally, i don't use CO2 gas or really worry about it much. I just use a good liquid fertilizer. Means i can't make the dense grass mats you see in some tanks, but that's fine for me. My long tall plants grow well, and need cutting back every 6 weeks or so.

Hmm, we seem to have gone quite a ways off topic.
What a stupid question

Resized Image
jelly tot jelly tot
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/9/2011 22:37
Re: Quarantine for plants? #9
no no no, this is all good stuff, keep going, its like gold dust lol

I cant beleive you guys know so much, its fantastic, thank you so much

BTW the plant I got was from a separate tank! must have been near fish at some point then I guess? I am scared to death this may happen again.

I have read about bleaching the plants (as such) but also heard this can be extremly dangerous to the fish if not done properly, so me being me thought I had better not risk it, something is bound to go wrong. Plus snails dont get a chance to grow in my tank. Mrs Fish likes them for lunch!

I think the one week quarantine will be the best solution for me, thank you guys

Oh sorry, one other question, are there any plants I should avoid for fancy goldfish?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 30/9/2011 22:49
Re: Quarantine for plants? #10
Fishy Tom - this is my post I think, about switching air stones off during the day, not the night though

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... p?topic_id=30653&forum=14

Reserving tank co2 during day when plants produce 02 and utilise co2 from the night before, switching on partially through the night (when plants churn out heavy c02) to ensure no co2 poisoning/overload.

Trialling it at the mo to see if it assists with nuisance algae
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti