Register now!
Main Menu
Adverfishments
Fluval Edge Filter Problem
Posted on: 23/4/2011 19:49
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
I have today set up my new Fluval Edge aquarium, however am concerned that the filter is not working correctly. As a relative newbie to fishkeeping, I would appreciate any advice which can be provided.

Whilst the filtration process appears to be operating correctly, the filter seems very noisy. The noise is not coming from the motor or the filter media area. It seems to be coming from the impeller unit with a lot of air bubbles being released from this area into the filter case reservoir. The noise sounds like water being sloshed around violently. I have removed the impeller and there is no debris in the unit to obsruct its operation.

Is this noise likely to subside over a few days or is there a mechanical fault with the filter? Many thanks in advance.

Re: Fluval Edge Filter Problem
Posted on: 23/4/2011 21:35
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Deep End
It's sucking air in from somewhere, my Fluval mini does it, I don't mind as it oxyganates (sp) the water...

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
I dont keep fish i keep water the fish are only there for decoration

Posted on: 23/4/2011 22:58
Group:
Registered Users
Caresheets
Advisers
FK Supporter
Deep End
Hi Zorin and welcome to FK

Could possibly be air trapped somewhere. Internals can make a bit of noise if there is an air pocket. I'd be tempted to remove it all, put it back together and try again and see if that makes any difference.

Fluval Edges, a bit wee for most kinds of fish and won't suit some species due to the lack of surface area i.e. the air breathers What were you thinking of getting? Might be a good idea to run this past some members here perhaps before you outlay on fish (post the 'cycle' of course).

This linky may be of help:

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

This saves so much time and unnecessary questions so it helps everyone here

The importance of QT when adding new fish to an existing tank, to avoid losses (and tears):
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_84/fishkeeping_quarantine.htm

Posted on: 23/4/2011 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi Violet

Thanks for your reply. I have dismantled and reinstalled the filter 3 times now and the same noise keeps occurring. I am sure there is an air blockage/pocket problem but not sure how to resolve it - Do you think it is worth calling Hagen Customer Services?

Would appreciate your advice regarding suitable fish. I was thinking of maybe 5 Neon Tetra, 2 Gourami and 1 Siamese Fighting Fish - Are these compatible?

Thanks

Posted on: 23/4/2011 23:31
Group:
Registered Users
Caresheets
Advisers
FK Supporter
Deep End
With regards to the filter issue, if you have dismantled it 3 times, I would suspect a fault really. The shop where you bought it from should offer an exchange on the filter part if you have kept the receipt?

The fish you keep will depend on local pH and GH (General hardness) levels in your area. Do you have any test kit readings? Your local water board website should have a bit where you can type in your post code and see in the interim.

All the fish you listed are soft water, acidic fish and all would need more space than the Edge (at 23 litres) can offer, I'm afraid.

Neon Tetra need a min of 65 litres as they are shoaling and need to kept in groups of at least 6. The smallest Gourami is the Honey Gourami at 5cm or so and to house 2 you are looking at 60 litres min. Male Betta are usually kept singularly due to territory issues and need 45 litres.

The Gourami and Betta are air breathers too, so need access to a water surface level which you don't get with the Edge. It's likely even if the Edge was big enough volume wise, that these fish would suffocate.

FK caresheet linkies here that may help, or have a browse through the others on the left hand menu

Cardinal Tetra (no Neon Tetra care sheet here yet, but these are quite similar)
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... resheet.php?caresheetID=1

Honey Gourami
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=196

Betta
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=82

This saves so much time and unnecessary questions so it helps everyone here

The importance of QT when adding new fish to an existing tank, to avoid losses (and tears):
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_84/fishkeeping_quarantine.htm