Register now!
Main Menu
Adverfishments
Red Patch On Goldfish
Posted on: 25/2/2011 14:15
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
My ranchu Chub has got two little red patches on his body, both just behind his pectoral fins - under where they rest when he isn't using them. One is barely noticable, the other is around 8mm by 6mm. The JBL site's gallery seems to have gone, and I've trawled Google for a lookalike but no luck (maybe searching for the wrong thing). It's just red, no white bits, if that helps, and doesn't appear to be raised.

Been trying to get a photo but no luck, he still regards a camera lens as something he needs to swim about to impress

He did a poo a few weeks ago which was almost clear, with food-coloured bits in it as well but his recent poos have looked very healthy.

He otherwise looks and acts like nothing is wrong.

His buddy Flump the oranda doesn't have anything similar.

Water
Nitrate 30ppm (approx, hard to get an exact figure on the API freshwater kit but I'd say it's there)
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 7.5

180l tank, two goldies around 8-10cm long, Eheim Ecco Pro 200 filter.

Any ideas?

Re: Red Patch On Goldfish
Posted on: 25/2/2011 16:10
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Can't seem to find the edit button on my last post

There is a lighter area in the centre of the redness, not very visible but definitely there I think. Wouldn't call it 'white', but... light.

If that helps any more.

Posted on: 26/2/2011 14:42
Group:
Registered Users
FK Supporter
it sounds like it could be ammonia burns, are you able to retest to make sure these results are accurate

Posted on: 27/2/2011 14:08
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Retested and they're accurate - zeroes on the ammonia and nitrite and roughly 20-40 on the nitrate. I'm a bit of water quality nut because of my nitratey tap water making it harder to keep down, so I'm glad that all seems in order (though I still do need a nitrate-removal 'thingie' once I find one, as I'd prefer it to be lower).

Googled for a few hours and on balance I decided it's more likely to be bacterial than anything, so Melafix'd late on Friday. Looks smaller and less red, and definitely isn't getting worse, so shall continue that and hope that was it.

Posted on: 27/2/2011 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
FK Supporter
way to get nitrate down is normally water changes but if you have high nitrate in your tap water its different, i dont use any chemicals exept de-chlorine and meds and buffer exept that i use natural stuff, to get ph down, no PH DOWN in a bottle, i use bogwood, to get rid of some nitrate, water changes or Moss balls these are known as nitrate filters, so i would get some if i were you, can you get a pic of the disease as i'm sure a advisor will be able to identify it

Posted on: 27/2/2011 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Do very regular water changes and have moss balls - just the tap water which does me in a little, necessitating changes perhaps more frequently than they'd otherwise need.

Getting a photo is difficult, as it's right under where his pectoral fin is, so it's usually obscured. And whenever I go near him he gets excited and waggles it (along with the rest of himself) making getting a picture really tough - especially when turning the camera speed right up kills the picture quality.

Rechanging the camera now, shall try again in a bit

Posted on: 1/3/2011 1:34
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Camera's charged but the problem is all but gone - can barely see it now, and a high-speed photo definitely wouldn't pick it up.

From very red and quite large to nothing in four days. Good old Chub

Just hope it was the problem, and not a symptom of something else - shall keep a close eye on him.

Posted on: 1/3/2011 6:37
Group:
Registered Users
FK Supporter
good thats its all cleared up