Register now!
Main Menu
Adverfishments
How do I use Nitra-Zorb?
Posted on: 26/1/2007 15:25
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
I recently tested my nitrate to find it a bit high. My testing kit recommended I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals- Nitra-Zorb! I've bought the nitra- zorb but I'm unsure of how to use it, It instructs you to place the pouch in the path of water flow in the aquarium filter! Do I actually put it inside the filter and remove one of the sponge pads or do I try and dangle it in front of where the water comes out of the filter? I have a fluval2plus and i'm completely confused how to use the nitra-zorb! Is there anyone who has used it before that could help?

Re: How do I use Nitra-Zorb?
Posted on: 26/1/2007 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
Image Admin
Caresheets
Moderators
Advisers
You cant use the Nitra-zorb in the fluval+ internals it is meant for external filters as they have the space for it

Posted on: 26/1/2007 17:10
Group:
Registered Users
Advisers
Deep End
you could still use it but personally i wouldn't as i have 2 packets of the stuff that i tried in my 120L tank (the 2 packs would combined treat 150L) and they did absolutely nothing after 3 days, recharged them and just stuck to reduced feeding and water changes with good water

although, after reading the post i see you have bought it already

in which case tie it onto the inlet grid for the filter with an elastic band so entire grid is covered by the packet

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you

Posted on: 26/1/2007 18:07
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
They dont really fit in the Fluvals I tried stuffing one into a 3+ and like dragonlord said it didn't really do anything (it's supposed to remove 10ppm of nitrate in 24-48 hours or something) mine sat recharging for a week after then I just binned it and had a whinge about wasting £7.99!

Posted on: 26/1/2007 20:50
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Thanks, you've been a great help. I still have the receipt so i'm going to just return it. Are there any other treatments i could use that would be suitable for my filter etc.?

Posted on: 26/1/2007 20:56
Group:
Registered Users
Advisers
Deep End
the only half decent one i know of is a nitrate filter useing anaerobic bacteria, but they produce sulphur dioxide as a waste product which is highly toxic and i can't remember what you use to get rid of it in another part to the filter, but they are external hang on units normally and require a very slow trickle of water through them to make in anaerobic (low/no oxygen in the water going through that filter) plus i'm not all that sure how good they are on freshwater set-ups

personally i'd just use RO water and buffer it if need be it's like £2 per 25L normally

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you